Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Passing of my Best Friend

Jordan Gautreau
by Barton Pickens on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 4:15pm

"In these past few days I've thought over and over again about how I would tell the world about you Jordan. But many times I would try to express to them my words, and I would only speak tears. Like so many others there are many things I could say, so many stories I could share. You are my best friend, and you know all my struggles and fears, and yet you stood with me despite them. I want to tell them this story, it's one I 'll never forget, and one I believe you would want the world to know, now that you are home. About a year ago Jordan called me up and asked me if I wanted to go and see a movie with Him. It was such a funny thing because he had not even told me what the movie was before he began saying, now if you don't want to see it I totally understand. I was laughing because the majority of the time when Jordan and I saw movies together it was just me and Him by ourselves and it was a chick flick, haha. Yes, we watched chick flicks quite often, and when you go to the movies together to see them sometimes it can be quite awkward. I remember Jordan pulling up to my house so we could ride out to the theater together, now this is where it gets good. I walk out wearing a pair of dirty old military boots, jeans I had not washed in a few weeks and a Marine Corp sweater with a fresh military haircut. As Jordan gets out of His car He has on a pair of black chuck Taylor's, gray skinny jeans, a white dress shirt with a silver vest over it, a scarf around His neck, the black hat he always wears, and of course His mountain beard. It was such a funny sight the two of us going to see a chick flick. As we got to the Movies we started thinking how could we slip in unnoticed. Maybe we should go in a few minutes apart, ok txt me what row your on that way i can just come in and sit down, ok, that will work. As we figured out our strategy we realized how cheesy we sounded and decided to just man up and go in together. We had done this before no big deal. After grabbing some snacks we headed in! I have to say as soon as we came around the corner we were the only two dudes in a packed house full of girls, and we ended up sitting right in the middle of them all! You could not have written it any better how funny that was. As the movie went on we laughed all throughout the show, and louder than anyone else. After all was said and done we went back to my house to hang out and eat, talk about life, why the guy should have gotten the girl, and just enjoyed each others company. And this is the memory I want to share. Jordan after a few moments into our conversation looked over at me and simply said, I appreciate you! I know these are not your type of movies but you still go anyway just to hang out with me. I will never forget that. Not only did Jordan live a relentless life for Jesus fully committed to the cause of Christ but he valued those around Him, always telling others how much they meant to Him, showing others how much Jesus valued them through His life and words. I know that Jordan would have been shocked by the number of people that came to His service. He would never think that or say that he impacted that many lives and many more that were unable to come. They all came because Jordan valued them through His service, and we were all impacted. The story He would want me to share with you would be to tell others how important they are to you. Let them know you value them and appreciate them, tell them how much you love them. It is so short the time we have, and let us learn from such a great example like Jordan how to value others. How to show them they matter and that Jesus loves them. I believe this is what He would want told. Jordan, there is so much I want to tell you right now and so much I wish i could say, but I want you to know more than anything how much I appreciate you, and Love you, and miss you. And look forward to the day when we can share our brotherhood once again."

www.jordanslegacy.com

No comments: