Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What are you Tithing To!!!!!!!

So check this out, I went to get my haircut at my boy Charlie's barber shop he cut's a mean fade and does the old fashion shaving cream on the neck, he really hooked it up. But as we were talking he started asking me some questions about what I do,so I told him I was in Bible school at my church back home. He immediatly started laughing and said well Barton would you do me a favor and go talk to the Physic next door she is crazy always trying to get me to let her read my hands and crazy stuff like that. I started laughing to. But then he said their is always alot of people in there all day long, and she runs a real good business making good money, it's amazing she is still open after all these years. So I said Charlie if you dont mind me asking how long has she been there and how much does she need to stay open in that little place. Charlie said 13 yrs and at least 150,000 a year to stay open. WHAT 150,000 A YEAR. You mean to tell me she makes that much money a year for being a physic. After Charlie got thru with my trim I headed out and started to think about what he said. The sign on the front says " Physic of Danville" basically clamming the city as her own, and the sad thing is the people of the town are ok with it. But the two things that came to my mind were this. It's amazing that a physic can make 150,000 a year from the world to live off of, but it's a shame that most churches around the world can hardley get the people to give God his 10%, or even just give money for a need that another area of ministry might have. Now Im not saying that all churches are like that but alot of people have that thought about Church. It just shocked me that people are so quick to give their money to build the things of this world but slow to give money for the things of the Kingdom. It made me think, has the church as a whole set the example for the world to see God's people at work for the right things, eternal things or just temporary, material things. 2nd thought was this, obvioulsy there are enough people going there to keep 150,000 rolling in for 13 yrs that believe they are getting some kind of answers or spiritual healing. Are we as the church providing the needs to the people that can truly be answered. Not by a palm reader but by the blood of Jesus. What are we investing in. WHAT ARE WE TITHING TO! The things of this world or the things of the kingdom, and the kingdom is all about his people. So this is my conviction God is working on me with. Barton whatever you put your time,money,talents,treasure towards, always remember, Your Tithe is always going somewhere but are you making sure that your Tithe is not about the temporary but about his Glory?

Click on image to enlarge

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on! It is truly amazing how much money is in the world, and the mis-direction of it all. One BMW could feed thousands, as I recall my luxuries and waste. The money is important, first of all, it's all God's anyway. Your time is really important as well, where do I spend my time, as a servant or a master? When all along, I'm underserving of the greatest gift, Jesus. How do I look to others? How do I look to the Psychic?

Jamie said...

That's awesome, man! I think you hit it on the nail when you said "Are we as the church setting the example?" That's really good! We miss you big time, but keep building the kingdom over in Danville!

jared said...

its a shame that the church and its pastors do not receive that much from tithing. But i think many of the churches and its pastors/leaders have been very unwise with the little money that God has given them. Cause he does say those that are faithful in little will be given more.