Monday, February 18, 2008

Surface or Surrender

I often wonder sometimes what the fine line is between authentic or production in ministry, genuine or glamarious. Do we understand the true meaning of surrender or have we become the face of our culture, Surface. This weekend I was at an event and it really bothered me to see some of the things I saw this generation behaving like. One moment, young people are in a worship setting and the next moment the same people are throwing stuff and spitting on the protestors oposing the event. One moment you see hundreds of youth running to the alter and the next you see them laughing at Homeless people as they walk on by. Now Im not saying anything about the kids as bad people I do know they are young and have growing to do and also grace and mercy must be shown and given. But what really got to me was watching the leaders of these youth just watch, adults, who are the spiritual guides not say a word as these actions were being done. Now not all of the kids were doing this, only a few, alot of them went back inside but there was a good number who acted out. As I witnessed these things I could not help but stand and say something, not out of anger but Love. It bothered me to see how the people at the event were giving the world the very reason to look at Christians as Hypocrites and to portray Jesus in so many ways other than who he is. Why is it that so many times the face of the Christian world react's in anger rather than Love, judgement rather than compassion, and law rather than forgiveness. After asking people to please not react that way towards the protestors, but instead show them Love and grace I felt completly alone. Have you ever seen something taking place and you thought to yourself am I the only one who thinks something should be done, are there not others that think this is wrong. I find that it mainly ends up being times of obedience rather than complecency. I dont want to be surface I want to be surrendered. I dont want comfort I want Christ. I dont want the American dream to substitute Gods plan. And I dont want to let culture be a bigger voice than Gods word. A t-shirt will not define Christ for me nor will it be what shows others his love from me, but my Love for others and my obedience to him will. A bunch of smile's on Sunday morning cannot cover up our hearts motives, let us be so thoughtful of our actions and how others see us, so that when we do mess up they wont mistake it with Christ but our own desires as man. I have been so guilty of these things in my life on many occasions, but I do know one thing I do not want my heart to be surface relationship, but true surrender to Christ. If this can be done there is no telling how the body of Christ could reach the world.

No comments: